Sunday, January 30, 2011

Babies

A baby was blessed today at church.  As I watched the dad carry the baby to the front, I thought of the miracle of babies.  What is it that draws us to that tiny person?  

There's a feeling at the birth of each child that is unexplainable. It's always been amazing to me that the moment when that little one takes their first breath and makes their first cry such a strong feeling of love rushes into me. It is so powerful it has moved me to tears.  And it's there every time.  I've given birth eight times and you'd think after the first two or three it would become old hat, that when I heard that first cry I'd say "Yea, been there done that, now get me to my room I'm tired and hungry." But no, the nine month torture ordeal followed by even more torture at delivery pales and is forgotten when I hold that tiny bundle.  

We've all seen people before, we know that they are all pretty much the same, two legs, two arms some hair, a face but when gazing at a new born baby it all seems so wondrous.  It's amazing that this thing has all of those features and, when we are blessed enough that all of the parts are there and in working order, we wonder again. 

And then the hard part begins.  But that's a tale for another blog.  I'm so grateful and happy that I've been blessed with eight beautiful, healthy children.  

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I'm grateful to have experienced that miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. What a wonderful perspective! I didn't even miss hearing a cheesy song while I read this. haha.

    ReplyDelete